Why do businesses need public relations?
Bill Gates has been quoted as saying that if he was down to his last dollar, he’d spend it on PR*, although there is some doubt about the veracity of this quote! However, Lord Kirkham, founder of DFS, has definitely said that the only money a business never wastes is that which it spends on marketing**, of which PR is firmly a key part.
So how can PR benefit your business?
PR is not a direct sales tool. It won’t lead customers to your door and it won’t increase your sales pro rata to your spending.
What good PR does do is to raise your profile, publicise your key messages and underpin your brand by communicating with the right people, at the right time and in the right way.
PR allows you to
- share your successes
- share your expertise
- show your commitment to your industry, clients, community, environment and to wider society
- reach a wider audience
- target new sectors
- influence decisions that may affect your business or sector
- drive the agendas of other parties
- deal with uncomfortable or difficult issues
- improve communication with your employees
- keep your business in the minds of those who matter to you
Getting your messages across to the right people in the right way can help to build a stronger, more successful business.
If you think you could benefit from some help in communicating your messages, pick up the phone and talk to me about what you’re looking for on 07759 795990 or email me at email@example.com.
*If you are Bill Gates and you want to tell me that you never said anything about PR, then contact me as above!
**Lord Kirkham’s presentation at the Yorkshire Mafia Conference 2011